Jalview's menus and fonts are too small on my Windows machine !
When Jalview is run on Windows machines with high resolution displays (e.g. 4K, retina, etc) resolution screens, you might find that all the menus, window titles, and alignment data are really tiny. That’s because on high-resolution displays, all the windows and fonts have to be magnified so that you can read them, and the fix is to ask Windows to do the same for the Jalview application.
Instructions on how to do this can be found in several places on the ’net.
Your milage may vary so please let us know if you are having problems via the jalview-discuss AT jalview.org mailing list!
See https://pivotce.com/2017/12/11/fix-java-applications-for-high-dpi-display/ for the following solution which should work for launching Jalview via webstart on machines with Java 8 installed.
- Close Jalview
- Find java.exe and/or javaw.exe
- for pre 2.11.0 likely found in C:\Program Files\Java\jre(version#)\bin
- for 2.11.0 and later this can be found in %APPDATA%\Local\Jalview\jre\bin
- Right click on it and select -> Properties
- Go to Compatibility tab
- Check Override high DPI scaling behavior.
- Choose System for Scaling performed by:
- Click OK
- Relaunch Jalview