Cursor mode is a new feature in Jalview 2.08, and allows more
precise selection and editing of alignments through the use of the
keyboard for both navigation and the input of editing and selection
F2 Toggles between normal and cursor editing modes. When in
cursor mode, a black cursor appears in the residue area of the
alignment, and any mouse clicks on that area will move the cursor to
that position (this means that the region selection menu is
unavailable in cursor mode).
- Cursor (Arrow) keys - Move cursor around the alignment.
Shift+Cursor key - move to next gap or aligned residue
- S - Type a number x then press 'S' to jump to sequence x.
- C - Type a number x then press 'C' to jump to column x.
- P - Type a number x then press 'P' to jump to position x in
- 65,82<return> - Quick jump to column 65, sequence 82
- Q - Define the top left corner of the selection area
- M - Define the bottom right corner of the selection area
Editing The Alignment
- Space - Insert a gap at the cursor position.
insert 12 spaces at the current cursor, type 12 before pressing
To group insert, hold control or shift together
- Delete (or backspace) - Delete a gap at the cursor
To delete 12 spaces at the current cursor, type
12 before pressing Delete (or backspace).
delete, hold down control or shift together with Delete (or
Some keyboard operations are not available in keyboard mode. See the full list of keystrokes.